Missionary Trip To Suriname 2018
August 28, 2018 • • in News
Written by Kerdell Samuel | Edited by Nathaniel Emilien
The Saint Lucia S.D.A. Academy prides itself in producing holistic graduates. One of the methods in doing this is through the various extra curriculum programs/groups the school offers. The Missionary and Preaching Group embarked on its first cross-cultural mission trip aimed at establishing a new English-speaking church in Suriname from July 11 to 26, 2018.
The group comprised of 14 students and 2 teachers – Mrs. Florence St. Juste and Mr. Vidal Philip. The students and teachers were divided into three teams – Prayer Team, Choristers and Ushers. Dillan Edward – now an alumnus of our institution – was the main speaker at the nightly meetings. Pastor Roel Blackman of Suriname was assigned to assist with these evangelic meetings. The community outreach programs accomplished by the group were:
- Sharing the love of Jesus and discussing the purpose of the trip on Radio Apintie with Mr. Wayne Telgt.
- The cleaning and painting of a sports club facility.
- Visitation of and contribution towards a home for disabled children.
- Workshop with staff of Caribbean Education Institute Suriname (CEIS), an English secondary school in a Dutch speaking country.
- Social with Church members of Smyrna, the only English speaking S.D.A. church congregation in Suriname.
Mrs. St. Juste confirmed that nine precious souls are now in baptismal class as part of the new church congregation to be established in Uitvlugt Suriname under the leadership of Pastor Roel Blackman. In addition, one of the missionaries’ part of the group who is a non-S.D.A. student is preparing for baptism. She expresses,
“To God be the glory for using young people to do His work.”
Special thank you to the Inter-American Division of Seventh-day Adventist, the St. Lucia Mission, the Suriname Mission, the S.D.A Credit Union and the Castries, Micoud, L’Abayee, Canaries, Sarrot, Balata, Grace and Monchy S.D.A Church. In supporting this initiative.